Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, May 16, 2011

Madame Prissy Pants

Two days ago my oldest child turned 7 years old. SEVEN! I've been a mom for 7 years! It just seems impossible to me that we've come this far. If I'm this blown away about 7 years, I can't imagine how I'll feel when we hit double digits! The years that have gone are what stun me, the actual age doesn't, if that makes any sense. From the moment she was born she has been beyond her years (or, er, moments). As a baby she always seemed like an old soul. Content, quiet, observing the world without much expression at all. She was, well, bored. At least when we watched her watch us, she seemed bored. Our futile attempts at making her smile and laugh were met with an "are you serious?" look from our small baby girl. It wasn't that she was an unhappy baby, she rarely fussed at all, she was just serious... or mature as we liked to say.
Today she is a fun-loving girl, passionate and COMpassionate. Still, she has hung on tight to that old soul over the years. She's always had a deeper understanding and awareness of situations and surroundings than what her age would normally produce. She wants to know and learn things that sometimes I'm not sure I'm ready for her to know! I let God guide me in what I explain to her and what I tell her is for talking about in the future. If we discuss the topic further, whether it be about God, an event in the Bible, death, or girl/boy matters, she listens intently (you can really see those gears turning up there) and once I've explained everything I can (or am willing to) she's happy and ready to move on to the next subject. If I tell her the topic is something we need to save for when she's older, she's always said "OK" and moved on without any complaints. She's always been so easy to converse with, and I hope it stays that way!
She is an incredible big sister. She's always so willing to help and often "helps" without my permission! She will make one terrific mommy some day! I am honestly a better mommy to the 3 younger ones having PP here with me. She's taught me so much about being a mom. What is important and what isn't. I just wish she didn't have to be the "guinea pig" for us at each new stage. But God has made her a strong and loving girl, and she is quick to forgive us when we've messed up. She's a babysitter and an entertainer when I need her to be. She's a maid, a paperweight, a closet rod, a fetcher of items, a cook, a teacher, and many other things when I need her help, and she's always so happy to help out. Unless it's a chore of course!
I've found in the last few months she's getting to the age we can really connect on a new level. We can share interests (she wants a sewing machine!) and find things in common. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm looking forward to her getting older! I'm looking forward to this new phase in her life!
Thank you Lord for my amazing oldest daughter! He knew exactly what He was doing when He put us together!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, this was so beautiful! Talk about a tear jerker! What a beautiful grandaughter! I am so beyond words here! My heart overflows with love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! What a gorgeous girl...

    ReplyDelete